Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My favorite workout inspiration:

 

“I run slow.


I work in the social services, and a lot of the people we work with have a lot of regrets. I've asked our case managers to have their clients come out and watch me run. I run so slow, time run backwards. As I waddle along, your life runs in reverse. Scars becomes wounds become chances to exercise better judgment. I run slow.


Like most people, I enjoy running in the mornings, before it gets too hot. Unlike most people, I've been pushed over by a squirrel.


I run slow. Sometimes when I am running, I think of those zen fountains that absorb a drip drip drip of water down a bamboo tube before finally tipping over and dumping their contents into a pool. Each step I take is another drip. I think, that fountain would call me a pussy.

I run slow. But I know where I have been.

Six months ago, I didn't run.

 
Six months ago, I had heartburn bad enough to keep me from sleeping through the night. Six months ago, I felt like I needed to go to sleep at 2pm. And six months ago, running felt impossible.


I run slow, and I have ways to go. But I can sleep. I feel alive. I can run two, slow, miles. Slowly.

Sometimes I get discouraged. I compare where I am to where other people are. But all that matters is where I am compared to where I was.


Once something good becomes something you are going to do for the rest of your life, the pace becomes less important. I know that my drip drip drip will amount to that deluge, eventually. Someday I will run 3 miles, slowly.”

-Author Unknown

 

This is really my favorite workout inspiration of all time.  I read this when I was fat and identified with the idea of the slow and painstaking progress I was making on the road to a better life.  That one line, “But all that matters is where I am compared to where I was” is a great way to pick yourself up in the middle of a brutal run.

0 comments:

Post a Comment